Thursday, October 13, 2016

Berlin Coat Blog Tour

Have you been following the Straight Grain Berlin Coat tour? There have been so many beautiful coats so far, and today I'm sharing the one I made for my older daughter.

Sometime last year, I made a little vow to myself that this would be the year that I would make some outerwear. I had been thinking of myself when I made the pronouncement, but as it turns out, it seems to be the Year of the Coat for my daughter, ha ha! So far, I've made a Japanese pattern one here, a Moiano Coat here, and now the Berlin Coat, again in a straight size 5, no adjustments.


I had my daughter choose the fabric, and the one she went for in the end was one that I had purchased locally. Our exchange went something like this:

Me: How about this beautiful pre-quilted corduroy? It's even your favorite color!
Daughter: No. It's too boring. I like this one.
Me: The raindrops? In WHITE? For your coat?
Daughter: Yes! It's pretty. 
Me: You sure you don't want the turquoise one? It looks so warm and cozy.
Daughter: No. I want the raindrops. That's all.

That went well. 

Okay, so after looking at the above photos, I'm sure you've noticed something amiss. No, it's not that I sewed the piping under the pocket flap rather than over it, but good one. Still looking? Let me give you a hint. Count the buttons.


One, two, three, four, five, six....um....?


Where are the other two buttons?!? Yes, folks. I went to a closing out sale and bought some beautiful buttons that my husband chose. But I counted wrong, and now I don't have enough! I didn't even realize it until I started sewing them on, observant person that I am. So we are going to try to distract you with this cute kitty-hearts lining fabric (it's cotton lawn, I think). 


Good thing I left off the shoulder tabs and the sleeve tabs. I'm lucky I even remembered to buy two small buttons for the mock pocket flaps. I think what I am going to do is get something decorative for the collar, but any ideas are most welcome!

These are the details, taken straight from the website shop:
The patterns and instructions are in PDF format, and are easy to print and assemble. The file includes:
– easy-to-follow, very detailed sewing instructions with full-color annotated pictures of each step.
– digitally drawn patterns for ages 1Y, 18M, 2Y, 3Y, 4Y, 5Y, 6Y, 7Y, 8Y, 9Y, 10Y, and 11/12Y, seam allowances included.
– option to print just the size you need.
– large sheet patterns for print shop printing.
– quick summary of the instructions, for experienced seamstresses.
– printing table which indicates which pages to print for each option.
– detailed information about printing and assembling the patterns, yardage needed, materials needed, and sizing.
– cutting diagrams for quilting width and regular width fabric.
– all measurements are provided in inches/yards and in centimeters.

I really like the back of this coat as well with the pleat.


It looks a bit like a house coat here (perfect for wearing indoors here in Japan, actually, where old-fashioned houses can be freezing during the winter) rather than a proper winter coat, but I can live with that. Any time my "I'm too hot even though it's the middle of winter" daughter agrees to put on a coat is a win. 


I think she approves. Witness the dancing, which is always a sure sign she likes something:



And of course anytime big sister wears something, little sister wants to have her turn too. 


To have a look at the other beautiful coats (all with the proper number of buttons!!) on the tour, please visit these blogs:


And if you want to make your own, you can get the pattern for 10% in the shop with the code: BERLINTOUR10

Thank you for having me on the tour, An! 

19 comments:

  1. One, two, three... Look, kitties!!! hahaha Emi, you are funny, and you are gorgeous :) I am sure you will find other buttons that will match this gorgeous coat :) I think your daughter chose well. Gorgeous print. Great piping also. And piping under the flaps was totally intentional ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the words of encouragement, Jenya! I am hoping that I will find some nice somewhat matching buttons. Or else might just skip that part at the collar altogether. So glad you are humoring me about the piping under the flaps, haha.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Laurence!! It's already a favorite over here, thankfully :)

      Delete
  3. So beautiful Emi! Love the fabric! Have no suggestions for buttons.. but it's something I would totally do. 👊🏻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Olga! So glad I'm not alone in this. I'm just going to have to move the button from the collar down to the main coat and figure something out. ;)

      Delete
  4. ah hahaha! So funny on the buttons. It's a beautiful coat, even if white! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karly! I'm hoping it will stay relatively clean through the autumn. Maybe I should make a darker version for when she is going to do some "serious" play in the park!

      Delete
  5. Oh Emi, I LOVE your Berlin coat! I never thought of using quilted fabric as main fabric, and I really love the idea. Thank you so much for participating with such a stunning creation! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again for having me on the tour, An! It's such a wonderful pattern that I know I will be making more in future for my daughters.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily!! I was sweating a bit when my daughter chose white, but I like how it turned out in the end.

      Delete
  7. I love this coat! I could not agree more with your daughter, this fabric is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marieke! I'm glad to hear you like it, too! I am never really 100% sure when I'm sewing something (with a few exceptions), so it's great to hear other people's opinions -- especially when they have such good taste themselves!

      Delete
  8. I can't get over this jacket. It is just so absolutely beautiful. The colors, the prints, the details!! WOW! So fantastic! And I honestly wouldn't have noticed that you were missing buttons. Were there supposed to be another set under the seam or? Looks perfect and 100% complete to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, really Mie? Thank you!!! And regarding the buttons, there is a reason why the top two buttons are left open, hahahaha. I think I will just take the one off the collar and move it down, and then find a different set of buttons for the collar.

      Delete
  9. oh my goodness. so sweet. I didn't notice any button issues either. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jodi! I'm so glad I managed to distract you from seeing the issues, haha ;)

      Delete
  10. I just adore this coat! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik