Friday, October 7, 2016

Nah-Connection Shop Opening

To celebrate the opening of the new English Näh-Connection Shop, the very wonderful and very talented Annika and her ambassadors are showcasing many of the German patterns that have been translated into English. I'm sure by now you have heard of Annika. Her blog is filled with beautiful and colorful photos of the lovely things she sews for herself and her children. I'm so excited to be part of this tour!

 

Looking through all the patterns available, I had a really hard time deciding what to sew. Should I sew for my children or myself -- or both? I decided to start with something for my little miss, as she doesn't get as many new items since I am trying to make sure that whatever I make gets worn as much as possible. First up is the tank top, which is part of the Undies Girl pattern by erbsenprinzessin sold here


You get a lot from this pattern: the tank top, a cami bra, and undies, and the instructions give you different options for finishing the hem. One thing I should say - don't forget that you need to add seam allowance to the pattern. I got a bit careless and didn't pay close attention because I figured, "Yay, this isn't a test; I can just skim the instructions if I want to." Ha! Good thing I cut this pattern a little bigger than I needed to. 


I'll be honest -- I decided not to sew the undies because both daughters already have many more pairs than they need at this point (and as part of my #slowfashionoctober pledge to myself, I wanted to start limiting the number of things I make just for the sake of making them). This is something I struggle with as a tester, but I won't go into it here. Anyway, I did take a look at the pattern, and from what I've seen of the other versions on the tour (for example, here and here), they are really cute. I plan on making them in future, as underwear is a great scrap-busting pattern.


So despite forgetting to add the seam allowance, I think this tank still turned out okay if a bit tight. I am telling myself that it's meant to be worn under things so tight can still work in this case. Right? 

I couldn't leave out my big girl, so I let her choose a pattern, too. She chose the Edda shirt pattern by Hedi näht. I love the simplicity of this shirt, and I wanted to make her a few of them for layering this autumn. Unfortunately, the first one wasn't so successful (though still wearable), which is entirely my fault. 


The pattern gives you the option of folding the neckline over and stitching it down to finish it, which is probably what I should have done in this case. It is what I did on the muslin, and it turned out fine, but I wanted a bit of interest, which is why I got out the yellow ribbing. Turns out it was a bit too stiff and has poor recovery, AND I made it too long. Lesson learned.


So on the second one I made, I did just that, and all was well. Well...except for the wavy stripes that drove me mad when I tried to match them. I do love a pattern that is just two pieces. It can be such a welcome break. I also managed to use up my leftover fabric from when I made myself a Santa Fe top, and my daughter was surprisingly thrilled to be twinning fabric-wise with me. 


Did I already mention that I'm a sucker for anything with a high-low hem? I love them almost as much as I love flutter sleeves, which is saying a lot. Ha ha!



These are only 2 of the 17 patterns in the shop. I have already made myself the Just Another Tee, and am planning to try the Bethioua (kids and women's) because the ones I've seen so far have all been amazing.


For the week of the blog tour (i.e., until Sunday the 10th) there are some special offers for all patterns in the English shop:
Buy 1 pattern and get 10% off with the code buy1save10naehconnection
Buy 2 patterns and get 20% off with the code
 “buy2save20naehconnection
Buy 3 patterns and get 30% off with the code 
buy3ormoresave30naehconnection"
OR
Buy all 17 patterns and get 50% off if you purchase the bundle.



12 comments:

  1. You must have been so busy sewing lately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have, Eva! This month has been busier than most. But it's always worth it when I see the happy smiles on my daughters' faces :)

      Delete
  2. Such great basics to add to your girls' closets. Love the tank and the stripy tee especially. It is so cute your girlie likes the idea of twinning with you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenya! Although I prefer making dresses, haha, I'm always really happy when I get to add some practical basics to the wardrobe.

      Delete
  3. These are gorgeous - love that tank top (and it doesn't look too tight - in fact, it looks perfect). The tank fabric is lovely, what is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marisa. The fabric is from Art Gallery. It's the Tiny Dancer Midnight Dandelion in knit. I used it to make a pair of Wild and Free pants as well, and I must say that this fabric is wonderful!

      Delete
  4. I can't actually decide which one of the garments I like best. maybe even the dotted Edda even though it might not be perfect at the neckline. But the #sewbluewhite gets me always :)Thanks so much for joining me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for having me as one of your ambassadors, Annika. I'm so happy to be sewing these new patterns. I am fond of the polka dotted Edda, too. I am really looking forward to trying out the other patterns in your shop!

      Delete
  5. You always make the most beautiful things my friend! <3 Love them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, you are always the sweetest. Thank you so much <3

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik