Tuesday, October 11, 2016

The Rumi Pullover by Cali Faye Collection

Knits and stripes and bows -- oh my! It's the Rumi Pullover from Cali Faye Collection.


 As you might already know, I tend to sew mostly for my daughters, but occasionally I will see a design that makes me want to sew for myself. This is one such pattern. It has all the cool elements of what I recognize as the Cali Faye style: easygoing, casual chic. 

So this is basically what I look like on a daily basis: messy hair in what can't even be called a bun and some eyeliner so at least I look like I tried, HA! I went all out for you guys, see? Not.
Here are the details on the PDF pattern taken from the Cali Faye website: 

- Hip-length, dolman-style sleeve top.
- Sizes XXS to XXL.
- No colored ink necessary. No scaling required.
- Step-by-step tutorial with illustrated instructions to provide extensive detail.  Lengthening/Shortening provisions included.

- This design is best paired with durable knits, or textured knits of medium weight with slight stretch and 100% recovery. The best options to consider are those which have noticeable texture.  
- Sewing level: Intermediate/Advanced

For the version pictured here, I used a sweater knit bought locally at a shop called Rick Rack. It must have been, hm...two years ago now? I have been afraid of sewing with stripes, but figured I needed to get going on that one otherwise I will never sew through my stash. For the bias at the neckline, I used a woven red polka dot pre-made bias tape and tacked on the bow once I'd finished because...well, I like bows.


My regret with this fabric (and my usual lament as of late) is that I didn't buy enough of it to stripe-match the cuffs. In fact, it was touch and go as to whether I would even have enough for the cuffs at all. SO I had to "match" them as best I could. 


As you can see, I shortened the front by about 4.5cm and kept the back at the length of the pattern. I made no other changes. For your reference, I made the XXS. I am about 5'1" though I have been known to stand on tip toe and insist I am 5'2". 

This version below was one of my testers ones, and is way more casual. If you look closely you will see that I didn't finish the hem before folding it up -- ssssh!! This super soft grey French terry knit version is something that I am likely to wear every day (well, I'd wear the striped one every day too, but I think it would be a bit more noticeable: "Hey, look! Emi is wearing that striped top for the THIRD day in a row. Do you think she owns any other clothes??")


A thank you to my husband for playing photographer again. 



And what's a photo shoot without being photo-bombed, right? ;) 


You can see more amazing tester versions of this top in Sarah's blog post here

The Rumi Pullover is on sale at 30% off with the code NEW RELEASE until Sunday, October 15th 11:59pm EST. 

Happy sewing!

12 comments:

  1. So cute! The striped cuffs look like they meant to be that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, Olga. You always know what to say to make me feel better about my issues, haha ;)

      Delete
  2. I love both versions!! I never buy enough fabric either!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gabriela! I am trying to get over my stingy-ness and start buying enough so that I don't keep running into this problem. Also, I'm not so used to buying fabric for myself. But don't worry; I'm sure I'll get over it, ha!

      Delete
  3. I love both of them, especially the French terry one :). I just asked on the califaye fb group if I could use French terry for this pattern. I could have just waited and read your blog. Now, I'm sold :p. All of your creations are so lovely and I'm a big fan <3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Coco! I'm happy you came over to read my post, and so glad that I was able to help. <3

      Delete
  4. Both versions are beautiful - and so are you btw! And Look at you wearing jeans, hehe. I really like your little hack with the high-low hem. Great idea for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mie! And yes, I wear my baggy jeans all the time when I'm not wearing dresses. It's funny because before I had kids, I was all about skirts!

      Delete
  5. You really make this style shine. Very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jodi! I do like a nice swingy top and this one is great for the autumn!

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik